New Ashford was named after the ash fort standing at the foot of Mt. Greylock. A stronghold against Indian attacks and a defense during the French and Indian War. Incorporated in 1765, it has what is believed to be the oldestone-room schoolhouse in the country which was built in 1782. Next door to it is the Old Town Hall where, in 1920, the first woman's vote was cast in the national election.