Quaker Meeting House

The Quaker Meting House is the most important historical landmark in Adams. It is a memorial to the pioneer people who first settled the tract of land that became Adams. The Quakers, or Friends as they called themselves, were a religious denomination who came from the Smithfield, Rhode Island area. They were the first group of settlers to from a community in East Hoosuck, the original name of the Adams township.

They most likely moved to the Hoosac Valley in the 1760s because the area was recently opened for development. The Quakers must have felt the spirit of adventure that compelled so many Americans to leave thec omforts of their homes to pioneer the wilderness to the west.

They lived in Adams for 15 years before starting to build the meeting house in 1782. They finished it four years later. It took so long to complete because the Friends were less interested in a monumental place of worship tham living their lives according to their religious precepts.

The meeting house was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1976.

Open for tours Sundays in July through Columbus Day from 1-4pm